Superman

My earliest comic book hero was played by both George Reeves (on TV) and Christopher Reeve (on screen), and each actor was a super hero to me, as well, though for different reasons. I had always been a fan of the the Man of Steel in comic books, but when I saw that first black-and-white episode of Superman on TV in 1952, I was hooked for life. The TV actor (though he did make one Superman movie) was George Reeves, (1914-59) and for lads of my generation, he was the one and only Superman, flannel t-shirt, baggy tights and all. Decades later, Hollywood brought the big guy to the big screen, with Christopher Reeve (1952-04), who was already a respected actor. He scored his first role in a Euripides play at 15, costarred with Katharine Hepburn at 22, and was one of two advanced-program students out of 2,000 applicants accepted at Juilliard. I admired him in many of his fine roles, and was terribly saddened when tragically he broke his neck in a horseback riding accident, never to walk again. But how much more I admired him for his courageousness over the next 10 years of his life. Not only did he become a director and act in several more films, he also started a foundation to fund spinal-cord-repair research, lobbied Congress, and tirelessly crisscrossed the country on speaking engagements. Heroes don't get any more super than that.

No comments: